Still Photo Contests
Point Standings - View current point standings.
Still Galleries - View current and past winners
Monthly contest deadline is the 15th of each month.
Annual contest deadline is the 15th of January.
- Annual contest entries must be re-submitted at the end of the year.
- Each member can only submit a maximum of 30 photos total in the Annual Contest.
- The contest is open to members in good standing, only those whose dues are paid by Feb. 28 of the year you are submitting for.
- Entries may have been produced only during the course of an entrant’s membership.
- Prior publication of photos is NOT required.
- No entries will be accepted in print form.
- A MONTHLY contest entry may be entered only in the month it was taken or first published. A photo may not be entered in more that one monthly contest. ANNUAL entries must have been taken or first published between January 1 and December 31. Single monthly entries cannot be entered as part of a year-end photo essay.
- The five Monthly categories are News, Feature, Sports, Portrait and Photo Essay. Photo essay entries will be judged every three months; Jan-Feb-Mar due April 15th. / April-May-June due July 15th. / July-Aug-Sept due Oct 15th. / Oct-Nov-Dec due Jan 15th.No more then Ten pictures per essay.
- The Annual contest categories, in addition to News, Feature, Sports, Portrait and Photo Essay are:
- Fire: Photos of firefighters involved in fires, rescues, etc.A
- Animal: Animals featured prominently in the photo.
- Dodgers: Photo featuring the L.A. Dodgers. A Dodger photo may also be entered in ONE other category in the annual contest only.
- Music and Performing Arts: On or offstage.
- UCLA Sports: Sports photo that involves a UCLA team or UCLA player.
- A monthly photo entry may be entered in ONE category only. No second entry in Photo Essay.
- Photo Essay entries may have no more than ten (10) photos to a story.
- The judges or contest chair reserve the right to re-categorize photos to modify these rules as they see fit.
- All eligible monthly entries, win or lose, WILL NOT be automatically entered in the Annual Contest. All entries for Annual Contest must be re-submitted at the end of the year. A member can only submit 30 images total for the Annual Contest.
- Include the following information under the Photoshop "File Info" for each image.
- Caption field: image title or story title followed by complete caption. (DO NOT include your name.)
- Caption writer: Your three initials.
- Headline: Image Title or story title
- Byline: Photographer's name
- Credit: Your affiliation, and identify the organization for whom you made the photo.
- Digital File Specifications:
- Use a Mac readable CD to burn your images.
- Image resolution: 220 dpi, so we can print the images in the newsletter.
- File type: (perform a "save as")
- All images must be in RGB mode.
- Title your CD on the front with with your full name and a phone number or email address.
- Put images in separate Category folders on your disc.
- File Naming Protocol
Single Entry Category: Month, Category, Photog's Initials, Number of entry, .jpg(mandatory suffix)
Multiple Story Category: Month, Photog's Initials, Number of photo story, Letter identifying each photo in the story, and mandatory suffix, .jpg
- There is no limit on the number of entries in the monthly contest. The annual contest is still limited to 30 entries.
- Monthly contest points will be awarded as follows:
First Place = 30 points
Second Place = 20 points
Third Place = 10 points
Fourth Place = 5 points.
The photographer with the most points at the end of the year will be declared the winner. Ties will be broken as follows. Firstly, the photographer with the most first-place entries will be declared the winner. Secondly, a one-half point will be added to the score of each tied photographer for each monthly contest entered, win or loose. Any further tie will be broken by the Board of Directors as necessary. Their decision will be final.
- By entering the contest the photographer gives permission to reproduce the photo(s) in PPAGLA publications and web site. Copyrights remain with the photographer.
- DEADLINE: Entries must be mailed or delivered in time to be received by the contest chair no later than the 15th of the following month. All annual entries are due on January 15.
Submit your photo - UPLOAD photo here.
All entries for award consideration are to have been shot by one videographer at the time the entry
was shot. Entries must have aired between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2012. Year-end
contest deadline is January 15, 2013.
All website entries will be accepted for all categories involving newspapers and television
If more than one photographer was involved in an entry, the person submitting it must have shot a
minimum of 75% of video entry. Only exception is the Multi-Camera Contribution category and TV
Station of the Year Award.
Entries should come from aircheck tape when possible, but is not required as long as it aired.
This year PPAGLA is offering an alternative way to enter your videos by uploading to PPAGLA:
1. go to the upload site http://www.sendspace.com/
2. browse for your file to upload and select it
3. enter the ppagla submission email
4. enter the sender email (your email)
5. click upload
6. compose a new email which will include all the information we ask for on our normal
submission form (form will be at the ppagla.org/video website)
7. send the new email to the same address
Video info for upload and data DVD files: Export to Mpeg4 (h.264) Quicktime codec. Export your video at its original resolution (SD or HD) with a bit rate high enough to keep the quality and to stay below the 300MB limit for upload, bit rate around 7000k or more. For longer pieces in HD over the 300MB upload limit, export your entry, then burn a data DVD and deliver it the same as you would an SD Video DVD.
Entries can still be submitted as video DVD as well. Any other format will be rejected. One DVD per entry. Each DVD should be labeled with the story slug, the date it aired or published, the videographers name and station call letters or media organization name.
DVD entries for award consideration are to be delivered to the PPAGLA office at 3607 W. Magnolia Blvd., Suite H, Burbank, CA. 91505 (Magnolia and Hollywood Way. Parking in rear) The mail slot will only take one DVD at a time. Contact David Fernandez,
cell 818-461-2208 or Scott Meadows with his phone number 818-371-5338 with any questions.
One hundred dollars will be awarded to the first place winners in each sponsored category at the PPAGLA Awards Dinner in March. If no category sponsor, no check, only a plaque. Winners will also receive a plaque commemorating their contribution to Photojournalism.